Monday, November 2, 2009

Cooking Turnip Greens

I made these because my fiance likes them, and I feel very bad giving him canned greens when I make so much else from scratch.

Greens are also a great source of nutrients, easy to grow, and inexpensive. They are a cool-weather crop, and so may help extend your growing season.

Here is the recipe I tried:

Turnip greens
3 slices bacon
water
  1. Put bacon in a medium pot, and fill pot half-way with water. Bring to boil, and boil for about 20 minutes.
  2. While bacon is boiling, rinse turnip greens well. I removed most of the stems and sliced them into roughly 1-inch strips.
  3. Add greens to pot. Cook until they are as tender as you would like. Scoop out greens, draining water from them, and serve
  4. If you dice the bacon you can serve them together. I didn't do this; they're back in the fridge with the little we didn't eat.
We both enjoyed this and I plan on cooking it again soon. The greens are tender without being 'cooked into submission,' and the seasoning from the local bacon was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment