Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Silly Me

I keep forgetting I can just post about what we're doing, even the 'normal' stuff. That was a bit of the idea, right? So, here we go.

One of the local stores had a Big sale on Strawberries, so I made more jam. I've now learned not to make jam from pureed strawberries - you can't tell where the foam stops and the jam starts. I now have foam above the jam, in all the jars. *sigh* Ah well. Lesson learned!

Nearly all the fabric is washed and ironed. I've got one shirt almost ready to sew, just need to cut out the sleeves. Most of my sewing right now is actually repairs - beads coming off a skirt, fixing small holes before they get bigger. Hopefully I will get to some of that this weekend.

There are piles of watermelon rind in the fridge. I've also got another watermelon on the table, and the market is tomorrow. I doubt I will process anything tonight, as the fridge is full and I'm tired. So, tomorrow perhaps.

I did get my stashes a bit better organized. Once we get that last bolt for the treadle the Sphinx is in, I'll be able to shut the table again. The Spinx has been on non-stop display for months, and while she is beautiful, I do also enjoy the 'smoothness' of everything being put away.

We did try a new recipe tonight - zucchini and yellow squash, half a red sweet bell pepper, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Italian seasoning, then steamed. Good, if perhaps a bit bland; I'll spice it up more next time (more seasoning may be all it needed; those were big squash!). Very colorful, and lovely on the plate.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Check my blog I left you a note.We are going to try the Pear Honey idea you suggested to me.
    I also read your entry about the foam on your jam.My mom taught me to skim the foam off as I cook the jam down.She always put the foam in dish to save as a treat after dinner.The foam is super sweet and yummy.
    Rois
    hrafinstaad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh never heard about saving the foam, I'll have to remember that!

    I tried to skim the foam - but since I pureed the berries smooth, I couldn't really tell what was foam and what was jam. I tried. At least now, I know to eat it :) Sounds like a good ice cream topping.

    ReplyDelete