Sunday, May 22, 2011

Indepedance Days - 22 May 2011

The garden is well-started. We need to put up the trellising for the squashes & cucumbers, and when the plants are tall enough we'll get another bale of straw for mulch. It comes with wheat seeds, but the weeds (wheat seedlings) will at least be easier to pull from damp ground, and since we're still hauling our water up there it's worth it to shade the soil and keep the moisture longer. We're still under moderate drought here, according to the US Drought Monitor.

I've also been focusing on the house. I've felt for awhile that it was getting out of control - drifts of stuff piling up in corners or around furniture. It's aggravating for me when it does this, so I've been going through, straightening up and putting things away. Almost nothing ever gets put back exactly where it came from, so when I dust (by moving the items and wiping down the shelf) it's amazing how much less goes back on the shelf and how much neater things are. And I've made some good progress on piles that had to be dealt with rather than put away. Very satisfying to accomplish this.

1. Plant something: I don't think we planted anything this week, actually. I need to check the garden and see what we have left for room to plant more.

2. Harvest something: The turnip thinnings.

3. Preserved something: Just the strawberries, so far.

4. Waste not (preparations): Nothing this week.

5. Want not (manage your stores): Organizing the pantry and just the house in general.

6. Build community: Finding & buying from the local lady with the strawberries.

7. Eat the food: Turnip greens. Ponsett -yes, everyone else spells in pancit, and you can use really really thin rice noodles from the Asian section of the store. Yummy & very easy.

8. Crafting: Sewing - I've done half the sewing pile I had, and finished all the pillowcases. Lots of this stuff has essentially been sewing seams where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment