Monday, October 5, 2009

Hobbit Stew


.. better know as Mushroom Stew.

Recipe:
I had to adjust the recipes I had found, since I needed one without dairy and without the sherry or whatever it was. This made 3 pints of Soup, and I had a half-pint of broth remaining. Also, this will taste better after freezing or as leftovers.

16 oz each regular mushrooms (can mix in some portabellas if desired)
5 cups venison, beef, or veggie broth*
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
4 Tbsp butter
Rosemary sprig
salt & pepper

Dice the mushrooms, onions, and garlic.

Melt butter in large saucepan on med-high heat. Add onions and garlic, sweat them for about 8 minutes, keeping the temp low so as not to brown things.

Add diced mushrooms, stir well to coat. Sweat for 10 minutes. Add a bit of water or more butter if needed.

Add broth and rosemary sprig. Simmer on low for 1 hour.
Taste and season as desired with salt & pepper. Remove rosemary sprig & serve.

*I’ve only used venison broth. My second choice would be free-range beef broth. YMMV.

No comments:

Post a Comment