Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Planting

We prepped the balcony for planting today. The seeds will actually go in on Tuesday, which according to our local planting calendar is a better day for that.

North Side of Garden, medium picEast view of garden

We swept, hung the manger planters, and re-arranged the furniture. The lowest level of pots (black & grey) will be sweet potatoes - I've started a sweet potato in water to grow my slips, since I only need two or three. The two pots above the black pot have herbs in them: Orange mint above and lemon balm below. The one on the grey pot will be planted with collards, as will be another 12" pot near the rosemary. The planters will be planted with cold-tolerant beets, spinach, and a lettuce mix.

overwintered Swiss Chard 'Ruby Red' The Swiss Chard was planted last spring and survived our winter just fine. I'll add more to this pot, and start adding leaves from them to my spring salads, too.

Lemon Balm:
Lemon Balem

1 comment:

  1. There's still snow on the ground here, but I'm planning to do the balcony rearrangement tomorrow nonetheless. You just inspired me to start a sweet potato plant! Now on to decide what else I want.

    ReplyDelete