Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Independence Day Challenge

This is my first post on this, as I hadn't heard about it until a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to keep up with it :)

Original Post: Casaubon's Book: Independence Days Challenge

Note: I added crafting to my list. For myself, it's part of my independence, that I can make some of the non-food items we need as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1. Plant something – Nothing. All the pots are full, except the one where I planted garlic and lettuce, and then nothing sprouted (think it’s too low to get enough sun)

2. Harvest something – Fresh salad greens for my daily sandwiches.

3. Preserve something – Nothing. I’ve been sewing. I do have items in the freezer to make into broth and can as soon as I have enough time.

4. Reduce waste – Saved sewing scraps to use for other projects. Regular recycling. Using fabric napkins – finally got entire family doing this (need to make more!). Scavenged a nice ‘iron’ corner shelf someone else tossed.

5. Preparation and Storage – Nothing this week.

6. Build Community Food Systems – Found just-opened farmer's market next door, talked with the organizer. Plan on asking about volunteering, as well as shopping there. Posted reviews on the 3 other local markets on LocalHarvest.

7. Eat the Food – Salad greens. Doing better in general about eating fresh veggies at dinner, which is something I’ve been working on for a while.

8. Crafting – Restarted fuzzy scarf. Cut fabric for shorts, purchased and washed cotton fabric for lunch bag & such. Purchased & washed muslin to use to create patterns from purchased favorite shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment