I've dried a few things for our pantry, for winter's use. Celery, carrots, mushrooms, and green pepper.
I dice the veggies, then dry them long enough to snap when bent (about 24 hours for me), and often toss them in soups that spend the day simmering in the slow-cooker for dinner. So much more can be done, but I'm still learning. This is the first year I've done much with it, and I'm enjoying it!
- Shredded Carrots: 3 cups fresh = 1 cup dried (33%)
- Diced Carrots: 2 cups fresh = 1/4 cup dried (25%)
- Celery: 6 cups fresh = 1 cup dried (15%)
- Green Pepper: 6 cups fresh = 1 cup dried (15%)
- Mushrooms: 2 cups fresh, diced = 1/4 cup dried (25%)
National Center for Home Food Preservation: Drying
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture: Drying Food