- I use olive oil applied with a cooking "paintbrush" instead of cooking spray. Using seasoned cast-iron helps, too.
- We use dish clothes and cotton towels instead of sponges and paper towels. I put out fresh ones last thing before bed each night.
- We use fabric napkins. For the three of use, I have about a dozen napkins. I wash them with the towels (hot water) and as long as I keep on laundry we don't run out.
- I make breakfast bars or muffins as take-along breakfasts.
- All the cleaning is done with vinegar and baking soda.
- I don't use dryer sheets. I air-dry the fabrics that cause the static, and have no problems. The fabrics in question all seem to be polyester, rayon, or another man-made material.
- Clothing is repaired, then later re-purposed, whenever possible.
- Food shopping is seasonal, local, and organic... in about that order. We feel the additional cost is off-set by the savings: we don't lose hours at work or pay the doctor.
- My favorite place to shop (other than the bookstore!) is the local thrift store.
- Gifts are handmade whenever possible.
Monday, March 15, 2010
... That I've changed. A bit at a time, and then you look things over and are surprised with what you accomplished :)