Monday, December 14, 2009

An Apple a Day.....

I've just finished working my way through all the apples we picked. We got 20 pints unsweetened applesauce from the Fujis - they didn't need anything added to make delicious sauce! The Granny Smiths were used for dried apples slices and canned apple pie filling, plus apple crisp for desert a few nights. Dehydrating apples make the house smell wonderful.

And even after all this time, I have 6 apples to keep for eating fresh. Yum.

Trying to peel the apple in one curl sounds like taking things to a small extreme. After peeling 30lbs of apples, I've noticed it actually makes a lot of sense - I'm less likely to cut myself, I loose less apple flesh with the peel, and the apple looks better when I'm done. Plus it's just fun to try!

Final results:

  • 3 apple pies
  • dozen fresh apple snacks
  • 18 pints Fuji applesauce, unsweetened
  • 8 liters dried apple slices (estimate, might be 9)
  • 13 Qts. Apple Pie Filling
  • 4 Pts. Apple Pie Filling
  • 4 Qts. Apple Slices in medium syrup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment